Thursday, February 24, 2011

Enjoying the Outdoors



There is something about going outside that is essential for mental health. The difference in mood is particularly evident in the kids. Once outside, the fighting stops and they become friends - brothers facing the world together. There is enough space for both of them to run and explore to their hearts' content. Of course, we go outside on the compound quite frequently, but even though it is convenient (and I don't need an abaya), it gets old. Hence, my main goal on the weekends is to get outside somewhere with some grass.


The photos featured here are from one of the few open, green spaces in Riyadh - our trusty hang-out spot Salam Park. The thing is, since there aren't that many places like it, it gets rather crowded, especially on the weekends.


Even so, the park is big enough for everyone, and I relish the moments when I can see Saudi families interacting together. In stores, people tend to keep to themselves, and in restaurants, families usually eat in booths behind drawn curtains. But at the park, there is something a lot closer to community life. People smile at me, children come up and ask Sebby's name, and everyone has consciously dedicated the day to enjoying the nice weather together.

Family shot on the bridge.

Misha took this shot of me. We took turns climbing the palm tree. Without an abaya, I think I could get a lot farther!


Misha poses between palm trunks.

Laying on the grass looking up ...

Beautiful fronds against a blue, blue sky!

Exploring some more.

In addition to riding the swan boat with Daddy, Misha tried out the a mini paddle boat just his size. He enjoyed it:


Wee!

Sebby and I enjoy our little picnic.


Josh taking in the atmosphere.

And now for some people-watching photos. I really like these glimpses into every-day life here.

The park is filled with abayas. Most women wear the hijab (head scarf) and niqab (face veil) as well. The woman in front with the red scarf is probably not Saudi; perhaps she is Syrian or Egyptian. Plenty of men wear thobes (often white, but during winter it is common to see brown or dark-colored thobes), though plenty wear Western attire as well.
The woman on the left shows her personal style through her red nails, her shades, her bag, her phone, and her shoes.

Kids run and fly a kite on the hilltop.
A troop of boys follow their father.


The park scene is peppered with black, white, and splashes of color. People grill, picnic, and push strollers.

A woman walking around offered henna hand-designs for only 10 Riyal. Having never had henna before, I eagerly accepted. When I asked for a photo, she consented. It was nice buying something from a woman for once. And Misha was fascinated with her speed and skill at tracing out a pattern on my hand.





Up close.

The henna turned dark red by the next day and lasted for almost a week.

Back on the compound, the kids enjoy the little playground. Misha has made several friends on the compound now and it's so fun to watch him playing tag or "police" or "superheroes" with kids from different countries - Egypt, Czech Republic, Lebanon.

Sebby can now go down all the slides by himself. Here, he's trying to follow Misha back up the slide!


I am Sebby; hear me roar!

2 comments:

kate said...

I feel as though I were there people watching too. It gives a true feeling for the place. Thank you so much for all the awesome pics and stories. I am so glad you all are able to go out and enjoy yourselves before it gets too hot. Sebby is so cute!

Melanie said...

I'm waaay behind in reading your blog, but love to take the time to really read through each post since that's probably as close to some of those countries that I'll ever be! I really like your unbiased perspective about things, too. I really liked seeing the contrasts/comparisons between our parks and theirs, since we've frequently been to parks the last few years since having kids!