Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Apple Orchard

We made it to the apple orchard! It turns out there is one right in Brookings (the Moriarty orchard) with some 16 kinds of apples. It was a beautiful crisp, cool day for picking apples, and Misha was so excited. We ran around from tree to tree, collecting a sample of lots of different kinds of apples, including Honeycrisp, Sweet 16, and I'm not sure what else.

Rows and rows of apple trees: a kid's paradise.

Pulling hard!

Those high ones are hard to get!

How could I resist putting him in a tree?

Now he can reach some higher apples ...


Here he is excitedly talking about the big apples he's getting:



And another video ("Can you shake the tree for a second, please?")




Hooked on iPod: Misha assuming the plop-and-play posture.


Sebastian, just hanging out.

This toy puppy talks incessantly, so even Sebastian can elicit a song or rhyme by just bumping it.


Ready for school!


Painting Party in Misha's art corner. :)


Kid Talk: some more funny things Misha says ...

“I don't know if that's a spiderweb or a cobweb, because I don't know if a spider made it or a cob made it.”


“Thistles weren't supposed to be in the world, Mom.”
“Why not?”
“Because sometimes they poke people.”

“He's drooling a lot. He's drooling like 150 miles of drool.” - Misha about Sebastian.


Looking at a picture of himself with hair spiked with hair gel: “That's the picture where I'm jealous.”

Even though I have explained many a time why girls can't pee standing up, Misha still asks about it. Most recently, he said: “Why do girls sit down to pee? Because they're too tired?”


Recently, Misha was dedicatedly drawing a picture. “Look, Mommy!” he said.
I looked at his pageful of little circles and designs, and like any encouraging parent, praised him: “Wow, cool!”
“See?” Misha explained, pointing to his picture. “He’s pooping!”


Last weekend, I asked him what he had for breakfast at Grandma's and he looked at me like it should be obvious and said, “Waffles. I always have waffles at Grandma's. You should remember that.”
He then wanted me to make waffles and I said only Grandma and Grandpa can make waffles. He said, “Yes you can. I know the recipe.”
“You do? What is it?”
“Well … Do you have waffle powder?”

(It hasn't changed since I lived there - Grandma makes waffles from a mix, while Grandpa makes them from scratch - folding in the egg whites separately!)

1 comment:

Tanya said...

Your boys are getting so big and having so much fun! Good work.