Thursday, March 3, 2011

It's a Zoo Here

Early in February, I took the kids to the zoo by myself. It was an adventure -- Like Salam Park, the zoo is always packed on the weekends.

Sebby was far more content to wander around than to sit in his stroller. He kept getting lost in a sea of abayas, but luckily, the Arab women are so attentive to children that one woman or another kept bringing him back to me. Misha was a big help to me, too.

Tiny Sebby fearlessly sets off to explore.

A day at the zoo: everyone had the same idea. Just stay away from the food court!

An impressive lion. I love my 14-times zoom!

Misha loves the monkeys the best!

The monkeys are so used to being fed that they scorned our Cheerios and preferred popcorn.


A hippo.

I watched a woman toss an entire package's worth of flatbread to this group of emus.

And this elephant was positively showered with hot dog buns and lettuce leaves.

The elephant was a hit with my kids as well as everyone else's kids. I heard lots of shouts of "Shuf! Al fil! Al fil!" ("Look - the elephant! The elephant!") Last time we came, the elephant was indoors, so we were happy to see him this time.


A white tiger.

Sebby posing charmingly by a tree.


Misha climbs atop a rock.

The boys play by the stream while families picnic in the grass.

More picnickers.

Smiling on the bridge.


Sebby was very popular at the zoo. This family adopted him temporarily!

2 comments:

Bill said...

Cute pics of the kids on the bridge, and Misha feeding the monkeys! looks like a nice day and a fun outing! -mom

kate said...

I love the picture of sebby smiling on the bridge. So cute....and with Misha feeding the monkeys. I am glad sebby was able to get out and see animals.