Friday, May 10, 2013

Shashlik and Spring Sashays


 Ahh, shashlik - grilled skewered meat served with onions and vinegar. This time of year especially plants visions of eating shashlik in everyone's minds. We went out a few days ago with our friends Anara and Turat to eat our fill at a delicious restaurant. We devoured a huge pile of lamb shashlik, plus a sample of chicken and liver. Misha and Sebby helped too!


Sebby and the feast
Josh, Sebby, Turat

Msha, Sebby, me, Anara


I try to get outside with the boys as much as possible. Last weekend we biked/scootered to one of my favorite parks on Medereva, which we have dubbed the Willow Park. It's small, quiet, shady, not crowded, close to home, and full of very climbable trees - in short, just about perfect.

Sebby under the willow

Green, green everywhere


Misha has been teaching Sebby how to climb

Obama ears?

Time to draw

Sebby never tires of tracing letters.

A bit of football
 Back home:
Misha made this tent for Sebby

 




A few weeks ago, my Kyrgyz teacher Gulzat invited me to the beautiful grounds of the art school in Bishkek. We walked around and enjoyed the statues, got sprinkled on briefly, then grabbed some tasty samsa (the kind that drips streams of fat down your wrist as you eat it!) to eat as we strolled homeward.
India-style

Menin baatyrim - my hero

I really loved this piece showing Kyz Kumai, a national game on horseback in which the boy has to catch a girl and kiss her. If he can't, the girl turns and chases him with her whip!

I also love anything to do with camels.


No comments: